Wednesday, July 22, 2015

JaToya Reviews: Barbara Taylor Sissel, Evidence of Life


Summary:
On the last ordinary day of her life, Abby Bennett feels like the luckiest woman alive. But everyone knows that luck doesn't last forever.… As her husband, Nick, and daughter, Lindsey, embark on a weekend camping trip to the Texas Hill Country, Abby looks forward to having some quiet time to herself. She braids Lindsey's hair, reminds Nick to drive safely and kisses them both goodbye. For a brief moment, Abby thinks she has it all—a perfect marriage, a perfect life—until a devastating storm rips through the region, and her family vanishes without a trace.

When Nick and Lindsey are presumed dead, lost in the raging waters, Abby refuses to give up hope. Consumed by grief and clinging to her belief that her family is still alive, she sets out to find them. But as disturbing clues begin to surface, Abby realizes that the truth may be far more sinister than she imagined. Soon she finds herself caught in a current of lies that threaten to unhinge her and challenge everything she once believed about her marriage and family.

With a voice that resonates with stunning clarity, Barbara Taylor Sissel delivers a taut and chilling mystery about a mother's love, a wife's obsession and the invisible fractures that can shatter a family.



My Review:
I have to be honest. I've had this book awhile and I just got around to reading it. Then when I decided to read it, I started the first chapter and put it down for like a month. It wasn't that I didn't find the book interesting, I just wasn't in the mood to read it. It started off slow. It was hard for me to get into. Then it did pick back up and I was able to read it in a day. I loved the mystery and the suspense. There were some parts that were a little boring but wanting to find out what happened to Nick and Lindsey kept me reading. I wanted to know. I had to know. I found the main character Abby to be relatable. I feel she did what any mother and wife would do if they were ever in her situation. I did however find her to be really naive, especially for a woman her age. I also didn't understand why everyone around her treated her almost like a child. They felt the need to protect her from the truth. As for "the truth", I did have my own theories but they turned out to be wrong. Part of me wishes something else would have happened, but it didn't. For me it wasn't predictable or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention but I digress. I did think the story just ended abruptly and that's my biggest pet peeve. I would have liked a better explanation and what really happened to Nick and Lindsey (how it happened rather) just felt a little stupid. Like I said, there were things in the story that should have been explained better. It was like out of all the things that could have happened the author chose the one that I felt was the most preventable if that makes sense. There was suspense, it kept me guessing, and I wanted more. I do recommend this book, but it wasn't my favorite by any means. It was a good way to pass the time and I was entertained for the most part. There are better books out there, but it wasn't a total waste of time. 

1 comment :

  1. If you recommend it then I know I gotta include it on my reading list! :)

    Angelie // Maybelline Neutrals Palette Review

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and thanks for your comment. I read each and every one and they truly make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...