Friday, May 22, 2015

Keeping plants alive


I love plants. I've killed a couple but I've also kept the plants I have alive for quite some time. For me, it was all trial and error and of course research. Knowing what to do and what not to do is important, but it's also important to do what works for you. I don't do everything for my plants that I've read. I've taken things from here and there and also things that I know and I created my own routine. I've figured out what works for the plants I have so I'm sharing my tips with you. These are in no particular order.

Give them names.
This is something that not everyone does, but I like giving my plants names. I don't know why this matters (it probably doesn't), but I think that it's good for a plant to know that it's loved.

Talk to them, play music.
I talk to my plants. I play music for them. I give them encouragement to grow. I usually do this when I think about it, which isn't everyday.

Know when to water.
A general rule of thumb is to water when the first inch or two of the soil is dry. For some plants it's a little longer and for some it's shorter. I check all my plants once a week and if they're dry I water them. If not I wait a week. For my jade and snake plants, I don't check them every week because they don't need frequent watering. 

Have a schedule.
I check my plants on Friday morning. I like to have a set day to do this that way it's easier to keep track of. I always water in the morning.


Quick Tips:
(special things I do for my plants)
1. Water with rainwater.
2. Water once a month with 1 tablespoon of Epson salt mixed with one gallon of water.
3. Group plants together to increase humidity.
4. Mist with water every other day.
5. Rotate plants every day.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and thanks for your comment. I read each and every one and they truly make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...